The 30 Best Places to Live in America

February 8, 2017 11:38 am  |  Comments: 12  | Views: 567459

The 30 Best Places to Live in America

The 30 Best Places to Live in America

When deciding where to put down roots, many factors rest in the eye of the beholder, such as climate, politics, or proximity to extended family. Other aspects are coveted by nearly everybody: affordable housing, access to well-paying jobs, a low cost of living, good schools, and quality healthcare.

In its 2017 ranking of the best places to live in America, U.S. News & World Report gathered data on these crucial components for the 100 most populous US cities.

Scores for "value," a blend of annual household income and cost of living, and "quality of life," which accounts for crime, college readiness, commute, and other factors, are included below on a 10-point scale, as well as the city’s population and average annual salary.

Keep reading to discover the 30 best places to live in America.

Sources: Business Insider

12 Comments

• Dave Ecker says:

Looks to me like another story to fill space- maybe fake news. I live in California and they call several areas in the state as being great areas to live in.The state may as well be a communist gulag with Brown and the socialist idiots in control. The cost of living is the worst in the country and jobs are hard to find except maybe Mcdonalds. The idiots have sanctuary cities like LA and San Francisco where illegals thrive. The state is a mess only to get worse.

• Constituion 1 says:

You should move. It sounds like Cardo Neck found just the place for you – below the Mason-Dixon line, I’ll bet!

• Cardo Neck says:

I totally agree with the resident above who lives in CA. As an expatriate of the most populace and surely, the most Liberal administration out of the 50, with unions, which by and large, are in control of Gov. Moonbeam, and his administration. Having bowed to the panderings and giveaways for votes programs in effect, said unions while surrendering their own common sense, feel that they are ‘the’ entitled and this is indeed their mantra. When I moved from the west coast, a.k.a. the “Left coast” to the east, I was asked why I’d made such a move, my response was just one word, “California”. Well over 50% just nodded their heads knowingly. You may think that above 50% ‘only’, is low, but remember; there is a large slice of our population that thinks that the President of the US at the time of WWII was Abraham Lincoln!

• Carol Anne Robinson says:

Sad! The truly entitled folks in this country are only about 10% of the USA. However, they have most of the money.
      Sure, there are people at the bottom with a sense of entitlement, most are far from fortunate nonetheless. I do not envy them. The top 1/10 of 1% appear to be greedy and evil. Ever read the book 1984? That’s where we are headed unless we stop those Truly Entitled Thieves.

• M.R. David says:

I’d guess you’d want to take the wealth, who is the thief? Jealous and envy sound stupid… maybe instead figure out what the people had to do to earn their wealth and do it yourself. Odds are you’re too lazy…

• Mary ruggimo says:

Moronic.

• Geoff Williams says:

Myrtle Beach is a great place to live

• Dennis James says:

As a resident of El Segundo, CA, which is one of LA’s “best kept secrets,” I’ve lived in the LA area, as home-base, for over 40 very pleasant years. However, I’ve traveled, worked and lived extensively throughout California, the West coast, Rocky Mtn area, the South and East Coast of the US (and Europe). So, I understand why San Diego (#10), San Francisco (#16) and San Jose (#3) are rated so high. However, some other very cool places in CA and Portland, Oregon are overlooked. But, I also understand why Austin, Texas (#1)… and San Antonio (#23) are very cool, mostly, places to live and work. Salt Lake City (#10) is also a great place to live, especially with the close access to Park City, Heber Valley and Sundance, Utah. I’ve also lived, studied in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, a home-base, when we traveled as a family throughout the South and East Coast. While my family lived in St. Pete, Florida and I was stationed and trained in San Antonio (#23), Texas, and Ft Benning, Georgia, I experienced enough of the suffering heat and humidity of Florida and the deep South. With my Dad and family, we also lived, worked in Pittsburgh, PA, one of my favorite places to live in the US. Pittsburgh was one of my favorite place to live, work and study in the entire US. From Pittsburgh, we saw more of the East Coast. While I mostly LOVE LA, especially certain parts along the coast/beach communities, like Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, Malibu and many other beach communities, our traffic is not for everyone. But I LOVE the weather, art and culture more than any other place in the U.S. However, I recommend travel as a great way to learn about other people and cultural diversity.

• Dennis James says:

• Laurie Schilling says:

What the heck are y’all talking about? Sanity comes into play here. Just relax….take it easy…. move…. don’t move. Just please, chill!

• Clyde says:

It seems most of your picks are very large cities (above 500,000 minimum). What about the dozens of mid-sized cities that offer a much less stressful lifestyles but many of the benefits of large cities?

• Judy hodge says:

I live in Hendersonville,NC in the summer and think it’s fabulous! It’s near Asheville and is very laid-back and has theater, hospitals, good schools and endless outdoor activities. We were military, so we lived in a number of places, and now spend the winter in Florida–but North Carolina is my true love!

Write a Reply or Comment